Highlander Abroad Referendum Overview
In the Spring of 2019 the student body of the University of California, Riverside (UCR) approved implementation of a Highlander Abroad Referendum (HAR) fee of $2.00 per quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer) for all undergraduate students in support of expenses related to learning abroad, less the “return to aid” portion (25% or $.50 per student/per quarter off the top).
HAR went into effect Fall 2019 and is subject to reaffirmation by the student body every five years.
Allocation and Governance
The Highlander Abroad Advisory Committee (HAAC) review proposals to ensure that the HAR funds are used in the way that students intended when they voted.
HAR funds provide:
The HAR fee is intended to fund student services, programming, projects, leadership, employment, and operational support directly related to learning abroad.
The intent of the HAR is to allow the Education Abroad office to expand programming and services to better meet UCR undergraduate students’ needs by:
- Supporting engagement with the campus community with valuable, high-quality and academically sound education abroad programming;
- Providing culturally relevant domestic programs (e.g., study away programs for students unwilling/unable to leave the US);
- Supporting staff to assist students with travel resources, e.g. airfare and room & board;
- Supporting Worldfest Education Abroad Fair and Passport Fair;
- Supporting Peer mentoring and peer education programs;
- Providing support for marketing materials and resources that match rebranding of the Education Abroad office, program offerings, and support services;
- Providing operational support for cultural awareness and adaptation programs as the costs of campus services continue to increase.